Spicy Churro Empanadas
These sweet and spicy puff pastry empanadas have a creamy Snickers® filling that delivers an explosion of delicious flavors and textures in every bite.
Serves: 6Prep: 15 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 tablespoons plain cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons agave syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 (1.82 oz.) Snickers® Candy Bar
- 1/2 package (17.3 oz.) 10” square frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a bowl, blend cream cheese, agave, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, vanilla and chili powder. Stir in Snickers® pieces; refrigerate.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry; using 4” round cookie cutter, cut 6 rounds.
- Beat egg with water; brush over edges of each round. On center of each round, spoon 1 tablespoon of filling, then bring edges together to enclose filling and create half-moon shape. Crimp edges with fork to seal.
- Brush pastry with egg wash and cut vents in center of each empanada. Bake about 18 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir together sugar and remaining cinnamon; toss warm empanadas to coat.
- Tip: Substitute rolled refrigerator pie crust for puff pastry, if desired.